Stop. Wait a moment. Be silent. Breathe. Exhale. Do you know what just happened in that infinitesimal moment of your existence? It collectively transpired to everyone...to me, to you, and all living things. Everyone, everything, simultaneously--just aged. Much like breathing, aging is proceeding without our conscious attention. And, how wonderful for us! It signifies we're experiencing the amazing gifts, opportunities and adventures of life moments!
But, are you aging unpremeditated, or intentionally and mindfully?
There's a difference! How we age and view aging for that matter, tremendously affects our life experience and our overall health! Mindful, conscious aging can make each and every day more meaningful while at the same time, thwart off potential health risks, ailments and diseases. Living a well-intended life, while taking time for yourself along the way is a wonderful recipe for dynamic aging! There's more to your age than your chronological number. I call it "perspective aging." It is more than a number of years that have passed since your birth, but more how you view yourself through the aging process and how it relates to and affects your life experience. I have some tips to help you live and transcend yourself to a more youthful "you," in mind, body and spirit!
How do you live and age consciously? It’s actually pretty simple! Here’s some of my tips for extraordinary and purposeful aging with flair, finesse, and FUNctionality!
- Stop, think, breathe...even meditate in your own way. Take time to be still and be conscious of your body--relax! Listen to your body work. Hear your breathing. Become aware of yourself in silence for a few moments each day!
- Find ways to incorporate activities and exercise into your daily routine, including stretching and good posture. Walk outside. Look at the beauty around you. In fact, while you are walking, try to find something “new” that you pass each day and actually “notice” it. Admire it. Treasure your engagement with it. This will deepen your connection with your environment and create a new awareness and appreciation for your surroundings.
- Get plenty of sleep, hydrate yourself and be conscious of your dietary needs to ensure you are providing your body with the basic elements of important necessities and nutrition. You may consider dietary supplements, vitamins or protein type drinks for added benefits.
- Smile. Be happy. Laugh. Even when you are alone. If it feels strange, do it anyway. Think of a happy memory or a joke. When in public, greet strangers with eye contact, a salutation or "hello." Being happy and engaging is healthy and makes others feel good too! But most of all, smiling and laughter makes you feel more positive, reduces stress and is great for your well being!
- Be sure you are also exercising your mind...do crossword puzzles, soduko, solitaire, chess, read, study subjects of interest—keep your brain thinking sharp, and creative! Our brains actually shrink, brain cells decrease with age…keep that beautiful mind of yours working, creating, analyzing and informed.
- Find your hobby; do more of what fulfills you--this will be most enriching and sooth your mind, body and spirit! If you enjoy working with wood, create an environment that allows you to delve into this hobby. If you enjoy sewing, get excited about a project you want to create and conquer! Whatever interests you, engage in it and create a place where you can actually enjoy it!
- Be social. Too much isolation is not healthy for anyone. Attend luncheons, host dinners, volunteer, join a club, meet friends—life is meant to be shared and enjoyed with others. A network of socialization is important for a full, interesting, and balanced life.
- Create YOUR bucket list and what I created in Sunrises and Sunsets, Final Affairs Forged with Flair, Finesse, and FUNctionality, as the "Kick"-the-bucket list! Set the template for a well-celebrated life moving forward while handling unfinished business to prepare for your final journey.
- Have something enriching to tend to—such as a pet or even plants. If your life doesn’t support an animal, perhaps start an herb garden. Taking care of something is soul soothing and lends new meaning and dimension to life.
- Don’t look at aging as something negative. Instead, think of it as the honor and gift it truly is! Share your life and infinite wisdom with your family and friends too! Your thoughts towards aging actually impact brain changes which can lead to health issues and illness. Keep your thoughts positive!
- When you need help, just ask. Don’t feel like you need to “prove” anything and risk hurting yourself or going without something you need. As we age, we need support with certain things. There is a world ready, willing and able to step in when needed. Know when to ask for help to maintain a well-intended life.
- Be good to yourself! Treat yourself with a massage, pedicure, a new outfit. Also maintain doctor’s appointments and eat healthy, well-balanced meals with your nutritional needs in mind. Take care of YOU!
- Stay in touch with family regularly. Don’t wait for them to call you—pick up the phone and reach out! Stay connected! Share your life and ask about theirs!
- Leave your comfort zone. This one is super important! It is easy to get in a rut or routine and find yourself so attached to that routine that you are no longer balanced with a variety of life experiences. Leave the chair, leave the television or computer. Leave the house! Do something different! Especially if you don't want to!
- Let the negativity go! Accept certain realities and live life around them if you cannot change them! If you are here, you have a vital role to serve in your own life journey and humanity. Recognize the value of your precious existence and give yourself the gift of a well-intended life experience.
Aging is a fact of life. And a gift of life. Live life out loud, in 3D brilliant color! It’s not that we age, but more “how” we age that is essential and paramount. Be conscious of your aging perspectives, attitudes and journey. Push through your personal comforts and boundaries and experience more of what life has to offer! Leave life's womb of contentment and complacency and engage in your own aging journey through intentional, meaningful and mindful living! It truly makes a difference and can enhance your life so that that you age dynamically with flair, finesse, and FUNctionality!"